Swiss startup raises $29 million: they want to build a hypersonic aircraft
(ORDO NEWS) — Today, several companies are developing effective methods for delivering goods and people to different parts of the world. For example, Destines plans to build a hypersonic aircraft.
Destinus was reportedly able to raise $29 million (CHF 26.8 million) during the funding round. The Swiss startup is using the funds to continue work on hydrogen jet engines to be used on the Hyperplane hypersonic aircraft.
More about the Hyperplane
The Hyperplane aircraft will take off and land on a conventional runway – only there must be the necessary infrastructure and specialists for refueling and maintenance. After the device has taken off and left the controlled airspace, jet engines running on cryogenic hydrogen fuel are switched on.
The combination of powerful rocket engines and high altitude will provide acceleration to supersonic speeds – 18,300 kilometers per hour, and the main length of the route is located at an altitude of 60 – 70 kilometers in the mesosphere.
For example, the distance between Dubai and Tokyo (more than 20 thousand kilometers) can be covered by such an aircraft in about 1 hour and 15 minutes, while a conventional aircraft needs about 9 hours to do this. So far, it is planned that Hyperplane will carry out cargo transportation.
It is important! Destines plans to make the first test hypersonic flights in the next 12 to 18 months, that is, at the end of 2022 and in 2023.
Who invested in Destinus
- Conny&Co is a Swiss investment company.
- Quiet Capital and Liquid2 Ventures from San Francisco, USA.
- One Way Ventures based in Boston, USA.
- Cathexis Ventures from Houston, USA.
- Ace & Company of Geneva, Switzerland.
It should be noted that Destinus is not the only one with plans to use hypersonic vehicles to quickly deliver cargo or people to Earth:
- For example, the Chinese company Space Transportation is developing the Tianxing I aircraft. The device will be able to quickly deliver people and goods to the right places on the planet.
- Radian is developing the Radian One spaceplane. It will be something like a shuttle, but much smaller. Theoretically, the device can be used for flights between airports in the world.
- We should not forget about Elon Musk‘s Starship. The giant will allow you to make fast transportation of goods and people. The dimensions of the ship make it almost a passenger liner. The prospects of the system are indicated by the fact that the US Air Force plans to use this and similar ships for the delivery of goods.
Contact us: [email protected]