(ORDO NEWS) — In the state of Pennsylvania (USA), it was found that ticks carry a dangerous virus that can cause death. It was named the Powassan virus. It is worth noting that the carrier of the disease is the tick Ixodes scapularis.
Powassan has another more common name – “deer or black-legged tick virus”. It is extremely rare and can provoke the development of incredibly severe neurological consequences, which are far from always possible to eliminate.
Transmission of the virus occurs after a female black tick bites its prey. Authorities began to worry that in the future, not only this deadly virus, but many others, would be spread too quickly by ticks.
In order for the infection of the whole organism to occur, it takes literally 15 minutes. This is very fast, especially when compared with the transmission of other diseases by these parasites. Experts note that a tick must attach for at least a day in order to transmit, for example, Lyme disease to a person.
The Powassan virus was first recorded by scientists in 1952. The child who was the first to become infected eventually died. To date, a vaccine or some kind of medicine has not yet been invented, but at the same time, experts continue to develop. The best option in this situation is the prevention of tick bites.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has provided information that most cases of Powassan infection do not cause any symptoms.
But if they appeared, then this means either a fatal outcome or serious health consequences. After infection, fever, vomiting, headache, weakness may occur. Severe signs include loss of coordination and confusion, then convulsions appear, a person cannot talk normally.
Fatal outcome ends in 1 out of 10 cases. Half of the people in whom the disease proceeded in a severe form, faced with neurological problems, from which it was not possible to get rid of for a long time.
Contact us: [email protected]