(ORDO NEWS) — When picking mushrooms in the forest, it is important to be on the lookout, because inedible species can also come across among them.
See what these deadly mushrooms look like. It is better not to touch them at all, and eating them can lead to death.
While only a few of the 70-80 types of poisonous mushrooms are actually lethal when ingested, many of these mushrooms bear a surprising resemblance to edible species and are thus particularly dangerous. Here are the 5 most dangerous mushrooms that can kill you .
1- Death cap
Possibly the deadliest of all mushrooms, the pale grebe is found throughout Europe and closely resembles the edible Volvariella volviva and some types of russula. Its heat-resistant amatoxins can withstand cooking temperatures and quickly affect the entire body.
Within 6-12 hours after consumption, severe abdominal pain, vomiting and bloody diarrhea appear, causing rapid loss of fluid from the tissues and intense thirst.
Soon there are signs of severe damage to the liver, kidneys and central nervous system, including decreased urination and blood sugar levels.
This condition leads to coma and death in more than 50 percent of cases. Notable deaths include Pope Clement VII, who died of accidental poisoning in 1534, and possibly the Roman Emperor Claudius in AD 54.
2- The most beautiful cobweb
The two species of these mushrooms, the beautiful cobweb (Cortinarius rubellus) and the mountain cobweb (Cortinarius orellanus), are very similar in appearance both to each other and to a number of edible species. These mushrooms contain a poison known as orellanin, which causes flu-like symptoms.
This toxin has a very long latency period, which can range from 2 days to 3 weeks, after which the person develops symptoms, often leading to a misdiagnosis. The toxin eventually causes kidney failure and death if not properly treated.
In 2008, English writer Nicholas Evans mistakenly collected and handed cobwebs to his relatives, which led to the hospitalization of four of them. He, his wife, and his brother-in-law required kidney transplants as a result of the poisoning.
3- Galerina bordered
Distributed in the Northern Hemisphere and parts of Australia, Galerina marginata is a tree fungus with the same amatoxins as the pale grebe. Ingestion causes diarrhea, vomiting, hypothermia, and liver damage, which can lead to death if left untreated.
While not particularly similar to the edible species, several deaths and poisonings have been reported among people mistaking it for a hallucinogenic member of the Psilocybe genus.
4- Lepiota brown-red
This is another mushroom that contains amatoxins. Widespread in Europe and parts of Asia, the fungus looks harmless and is mistaken for an edible variety, although poisoning is not particularly common. Accidental use leads to severe liver failure and death if not treated immediately.
5- Kaentake or fire coral
This rare Podostroma cornu-damae mushroom is native to Asia and has been responsible for a number of deaths in Japan and Korea.
Its red fruit bodies contain powerful toxins known as trichothecene mycotoxins, which can cause multiple organ failure in those unfortunate enough to ingest them.
Symptoms of poisoning include abdominal pain, flaking of the skin, hair loss, low blood pressure, liver necrosis, acute kidney failure, and are fatal if the person does not get to a hospital in time.
Contact us: [email protected]