Chinese authorities confirm bubonic plague infection in Mongolia
(ORDO NEWS) — An autonomous region in northern China issued a hazard warning after a local farmer contracted the bubonic plague.
According to the New York Times, the shepherd was in stable condition after it was confirmed that he had become infected on Sunday.
According to Reuters, health officials in Bayan Nur, a city in Inner Mongolia, issued a third-level warning on Sunday.
The warning prohibits the hunting or eating of wild animals that can carry the plague, and it will continue until the end of the year. Local residents were also informed that they should report the discovery of any sick and dead animals, as well as people with signs of fever.
“Currently, there is a risk of the spread of the plague epidemic among people in this city. The public should raise awareness and immediately report abnormal health conditions, ”the local health service told the China Daily.
Bubonic plague is a contagious disease caused by a bacterial infection that caused an epidemic that spread to most of Asia, Europe and Africa in the fourteenth century and claimed 50 million lives.
Now it is easily treated with antibiotics, which means that cases are rare, and an epidemic is extremely unlikely, and the infected patient is in a stable state, according to the Global Times.
But outbreaks of the disease still occur – in 2017, Madagascar recorded more than 300 cases, according to a BBC report.
A Mongolian couple also died last year after being infected with bubonic plague, after eating raw groundhog meat.
Contact us: [email protected]