US, WASHINGTON (ORDO NEWS) — US President Donald Trump did not rule out that Iran- related forces could try to attack US assets in Iraq.
“According to some information and opinions, Iran or its proxies are planning a covert attack on US troops and / or facilities in Iraq. If this happens, Iran will pay a really very high price,” Trump wrote on his Twitter.
On March 29, the international coalition announced that it was leaving the K-1 airbase near the Iraqi city of Kirkuk as part of the redeployment of forces and leaving it to the Iraqi military, and on Thursday the coalition transferred the Iraqi military command of the Kayar airbase in the province of Ninewa in northern Iraq, where the US military was deployed.
Earlier in March, the coalition completely handed over the US-used Al-Qaim military base on the border with Syria to Iraqi forces.
Representatives of the coalition said that within the framework of decisions on cooperation with partners and the Iraqi government, military personnel and equipment from several Iraqi bases will be redeployed and consolidated in 2020.
The number of points where coalition forces will be deployed in Iraq will decrease. At the same time, the coalition remains in the country at the invitation of the Iraqi government and will continue to advise and train local security forces.
In addition, the United States planned to deploy Patriot air defense systems in Iraq after Iran launched rocket attacks on Iraqi bases, where US troops are stationed, in response to the assassination of General IRGC Qassem Suleimani.
Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Abbas Mousavi said earlier that Tehran considers the current movements and activity of the US military in Iraq dangerous.
Contact us: [email protected]
The article is written and prepared by our foreign editors from different countries around the world — material edited and published by Ordo News staff in our U.S. newsroom press.