(ORDO NEWS) — The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention began sounding the alarm over the fact that two people died from a disease that previously occurred exclusively in tropical climates. It is considered the most common in northern Australia and South Asia.
Reported by the New York Post.
Two cases were fatal and two patients managed to recover after contracting melioidosis. Earlier in the United States, this disease has never been recorded. It is worth noting that the sick did not leave the country at the time when the infection occurred. It happened from March to July 2021.
Experts believe that, most likely, the reason is the use of some imported product. Over 100 samples of food, soil and water were taken from each patient in the home to find the connection between the different cases and to establish the source. So far, the study of the samples has not yielded any results. At the same time, scientists sequenced the bacterial genome and found that all four cases of infection are incomprehensibly related.
About ten cases of melioidosis infection are recorded in America each year, but infections occur due to travel to tropical regions. This year, for the first time, an infection occurred within the country and this very much frightened not only experts, but also ordinary people.
Contact us: [email protected]