US, WASHINGTON (ORDO NEWS) — Tests have shown that at least 18 sailors were infected with the Corona virus on board a US Navy destroyer in a new military strike as part of a response to the pandemic, US officials said on Friday.
The Navy confirmed a report to Reuters about the emergence of the disease in the destroyer Kid, who is conducting an anti-drug operation, adding that she expected the number to rise.
The navy said in a statement that a sick sailor was medically evacuated from the ship and later tests showed his injury, which led to further tests that yielded positive results.
A Navy spokesman said the ship was currently sailing in the Pacific Ocean.
When asked about the Reuters report, Jonathan Hoffman, a Pentagon spokesman, said the destroyer was preparing to return to a port to be cleared.
It is believed that the (Kid) ship is the only one of the fleet currently in the sea and has cases of corona.
The aircraft carrier Theodore Roosevelt was in the Asia Pacific region earlier this month when the virus struck it, forcing it to anchor in Guam. One sailor died of the virus, and tests showed nearly 850 out of 4,800 people on board.
Contact us: [email protected]