(ORDO NEWS) — Chia (Spanish Sage) is an annual herb native to southern Mexico and northern Guatemala. And chia seeds are small “grains” of an oval shape of black, gray or white flowers, 2 mm long, 1 to 1.5 mm wide and less than 1 mm thick, which few people in our country heard about a few years ago. But it is these small seeds that are increasingly called today hardly a panacea for obesity, hypertension, cardiovascular diseases and diabetes. With such a reputation for its medicinal and nutritional properties, chia seeds have become one of the most studied foods in the world.
A bit of history
Spanish sage, another name for exotic chia, has been known to people for thousands of years. The ancient Aztecs used the plant with might and main, but not for mysterious rituals, as one might assume, but as an effective medicine for respiratory diseases, digestive disorders.
In addition, chia seeds were considered to be an excellent nutritious product, in demand as much as corn or beans.
The ancient Greeks and Egyptians loved tea from the leaves of the plant; in scientific treatises of that time, it is mentioned as a means to preserve youth, strengthen immunity.
What are the benefits of chia seeds say modern doctors and fans of traditional medicine? Opinions differ, so we will reveal different points of view and try to find a middle ground.
A bit of biology: what a chia plant looks like and where it came from
Chia seeds (Spanish sage), which appeared in modern dietetics relatively recently, came to the domestic market from Central America, where the plant was popular since the time of the Aztecs.
Today, small bushes with delicate milky flowers have learned to grow almost everywhere, so precious achenes are no longer considered something overseas and incredibly rare.
Small grains can be white, dark gray, brown or black. In a normal state, their diameter does not exceed 1 mm, however, in water, the seeds can swell, significantly increasing in size. Due to its hydrophilic properties, chia is often used to reduce daily calories, increase satiety and, as a result, lose weight.
Chia seed types
Regardless of the species, the seeds are very high in calories, they are high in fat and protein. However, there is still a difference in useful properties, depending on the species.
Black chia seeds are native to Guatemala and Mexico. They contain large amounts of phosphorus, potassium and calcium. They are often recommended for the prevention of diabetes. The black appearance of the seeds helps to cope with fatigue and relieve constipation.
White seeds also grow in Mexico and South America. They are recognized as an effective remedy in solving hormonal problems, helping to eliminate problems with anemia, due to the huge amount of polyunsaturated acids. They are used to prevent cancer and at risk of developing cardiovascular diseases. And the Aztecs believed that these seeds help to increase masculine strength.
A golden or brown tint is regarded as a sign of an immature fetus.
Chia seeds composition and calorie content
The calorie content of the product is 512 kcal.
Seeds contain about 31% of healthy fats, 2 times more than salmon meat. About 38% fiber, about 44% carbohydrates, the rest are proteins, vitamins and minerals.
Calcium is contained in such a large amount that it exceeds the content of this substance in milk by 6 times. The product contains the same amount of iron as spinach.
And in terms of potassium content, seeds surpass bananas by more than 60%. In addition, there are many useful components in the seeds: magnesium, zinc, riboflavin, and so on.
However, you should always remember about the daily dose, it should not exceed 50 g. But remember that the full benefit of the seeds is revealed only with a sufficient supply of water to the body.
Chia seeds health benefits
First of all, seeds are useful as a blood sugar regulator. This property allows the seeds to be used in the diet of diabetics.
Regular consumption of seeds will help prevent the development of cancer and improve the functioning of the stomach. They help to remove “bad” cholesterol, therefore, to cope with the problem of excess weight and improve well-being.
The rich calcium content helps to protect the bone and cartilaginous system from the development of pathologies.
And most importantly, most of these claims are supported by scientific research. Therefore, the benefits of seeds are not just words, but really facts.
A valuable source of omega-3
The seeds are rich in omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs). They are not synthesized by the body, but are an essential component for its proper functioning. Compounds are hard to find in food, and scarcity is a nuisance. Among them are chronic fatigue syndrome, the development of inflammatory processes, and joint problems.
Many people know about the benefits of omega-3. The healing effect has been proven by numerous clinical studies. They are included in international recommendations for the treatment and prevention of heart and vascular diseases.
The use of PUFA:
- reduce the concentration of “bad” cholesterol,
- regulate the synthesis of hormones,
- reduce pain in arthrosis,
- reduce insulin resistance,
- relieve inflammation,
- suppress the production of cortisol (stress hormone),
- support the work of the heart muscle.
Alternative sources – sea fish, shrimp, black caviar, seaweed.
Chia is a rich source of fiber. A tablespoon of seeds contains 5.16 g or 26% of the DV. Dietary fiber works as a prebiotic. They create a favorable environment for the growth of beneficial intestinal bacteria, prevent constipation, and help cleanse toxins and toxins.
Supports Heart Health
PUFA (which are “well, just heaps” here) reduce the level of “bad” cholesterol. They prevent the deposition of plaques on the walls of blood vessels, protect against atherosclerosis, heart attack, stroke. In addition, omega-3s reduce blood viscosity, reducing the risk of blood clots and other cardiovascular pathologies.
Chia is loaded with magnesium. The element is involved in hundreds of biochemical reactions in the body. It affects the strength of blood vessels, lowers blood pressure, and normalizes heart rate. The benefits of magnesium are restful sleep, reducing the risk of arrhythmias, and getting rid of hypertension.
Deficiency of Mg leads to disruption of the metabolism of the intracellular environment. For women, this means premature aging, wrinkle formation, and delayed skin regeneration. Headaches, profuse sweating, hot flashes, dizziness – all this may indicate a lack of an element. But it can be easily replenished with chia.
Health Benefits of Chia Seeds for Women
To begin with, chia is a tall annual herb. Now we are only interested in seeds, we will talk about them. From greens, as mentioned above, you can brew tea, make tinctures, and use as a seasoning.
The seeds are small and shiny, especially appreciated by vegetarians, adherents of a raw food diet, since they can be consumed without prior cooking.
IT IS INTERESTING! Chia seeds contain a lot of calcium, which is why people who refuse animal sources of the micronutrient especially appreciate such a useful replacement. It is known that a glass of milk provides the body with three times less Ca than a tablespoon of chia.
What else is valuable hidden by the overseas plant? The same volume of the product contains:
- about 40 calories;
- omega-3 polyunsaturated acids;
- fiber (about 20% of the daily value);
- potassium like in a large banana;
And this is not a complete list, we have highlighted the most basic. It can be assumed that the useful qualities of the product should be at their best:
- the state of the blood vessels and the heart gradually returns to normal;
- indicators of the presence of bad cholesterol in the blood are reduced;
- reviews of doctors indicate that the product can treat diabetes, modern medicines are being developed on its basis.
The listed properties are already enough to include chia in your diet, but beautiful ladies always have beauty in the first place, so let’s look at the question from this point of view.
The benefits of chia seeds for women are varied:
- with their help, you can significantly accelerate the loss of excess weight. They give a feeling of satiety that comes quickly and lasts for a long time. These are the main benefits of chia seeds for weight loss. It is noteworthy that the effect is achieved not only by increasing the volume of the product in the stomach, but also because the product is really nutritious;
- add a decrease in sugar indicators, which means a narrowing of the waist;
- the digestive system begins to work like a clock, respectively, the body is cleansed of all unnecessary;
- a chic set of useful elements helps to strengthen nails, hair, teeth and bones;
- seeds energize the body for a long workout and workout;
- Selenium, in close cooperation with calcium and vitamins E and C, significantly slows down the aging process, fights free radicals.
As a result, we can say that with regular use of the product, a person becomes healthy, strong and beautiful. And what else is needed for simple female happiness?
Benefits of chia seeds for pregnancy and breastfeeding
The seeds can be consumed during lactation as they stimulate milk production and make it more fatty.
While carrying a child, there are also no contraindications to the use of chia. But it is still recommended to monitor the state of the body and, at the slightest suspicion of a negative reaction of the body, immediately stop using them.
The seeds have a beneficial effect on the development of the fetus, improve the general condition of the expectant mother. They will also help improve the condition of your hair and nails. And immediately after childbirth, they will help to cope with postpartum depression.
Can chia seeds for children
Chia is very useful for a growing body, because they contain a huge amount of useful substances that stimulate the growth and proper development of the nervous and skeletal system. They stimulate the timely production of all the necessary hormones for the body.
There are practically no contraindications to the use of seeds in childhood. But you have to give up if you are allergic to chia and sesame. With extreme caution, they are given in the presence of problems with the gastrointestinal tract and when treated with antibacterial agents with aspirin.
It is possible to introduce seeds into the diet no earlier than 3 years; nevertheless, this is an exotic product.
Let’s add a fly in the ointment right away, until you rush into the store without reading the article to the end. Unfortunately, now the ball is ruled by advertising, the purpose of which is to promote the product. Naturally, manufacturers and sellers prefer to keep quiet about its disadvantages. Let’s say for them.
The benefits and harms of chia seeds go hand in hand when it comes to chia seeds:
- the product significantly lowers blood pressure;
- an abundance of fiber causes excess gas formation;
- severe allergic manifestations are possible;
- no one has ever researched the effect of the product on women in delicate situations, so they need to use it with caution. And it is better to refuse altogether, like any exotic.
Chia seeds contain phytic acid. It will not be possible to completely get rid of it, but a simple soaking in warm water for literally 10-15 minutes will help to significantly reduce the concentration.
It follows that the beneficial properties and contraindications of chia seeds must be studied before use. The consequences of carelessness can be very unpleasant and even dangerous.
How to consume chia seeds
It has already been said above that the product can be consumed raw. The easiest way is to eat them with a spoon. But this is not the most delicious idea. People have long noticed that seeds absorb liquid well and swell quickly, increasing in size up to ten times. Therefore, we offer a couple of options:
- Pour the product with milk, kefir or unsweetened yogurt, leave for 20 minutes – a healthy breakfast is ready.
- Add a scoop of seeds to your favorite smoothie ingredients and blend thoroughly in a blender. The dish will turn out to be more satisfying and healthy.
- The benefits of chia seed flour are just as good as whole grains. But the list of product applications is expanding significantly. Add flour to your favorite porridge, cook sauces with it. Skillful housewives even increase the nutritional value of baked goods with its help.
- Another interesting option is chia seed oil. It is put in salads, added to taste in various dishes, and even used for cosmetic purposes.
- An extremely tasty and healthy thing is chia seed urbech. The grains pounded into a paste are mixed with dried fruits and honey. As a result, the product acquires even more valuable properties. By the way, it is not necessary to buy ready-made jars – it is easy to make Urbech yourself.
In general, you will not have to limit yourself to chewing dry seeds. We have shown only indicative recipes. Turn on your imagination and come up with options yourself. Consider only that chia is best for breakfast, permissible for lunch, but for dinner you should refrain from it.
Seed germination has become a fashionable trend today. It significantly enhances their beneficial properties and facilitates the assimilation process. You can also try this practice with chia. The process will give the first shoots after three days, throughout the entire time it is necessary to carefully monitor the condition of the seeds, change the water, and prevent the appearance of mold.
In what form to take
- Whole seeds. They can serve as a snack on their own. You can also add water and leave for 15 minutes. Upon contact with liquid, the grains increase 12 times, turning into jelly, as a result, you will get an even more satisfying dish, but without adding calories. Instead of water, you can use yogurt or kefir. Seeds can be sprinkled on any food. However, it is important to remember that with strong heat treatment, their benefits are reduced, so it is better to sprinkle already prepared food.
- Powder. Chia can be ground into flour and added to dough, sauces, side dishes, and any meal.
- Butter. There is also a product that can be purchased ready-made. Oil is just as useful as seeds. It is obtained by cold pressing. It normalizes digestion, cleans blood vessels, fights free radicals, helps to relax muscles and relieve pain, reduces symptoms of migraines and infectious diseases, and helps relieve cramps during menstruation, which will definitely come in handy for all women. But you shouldn’t overdo it either.
Role of chia seeds in good nutrition
Today, chia seeds are often used as a dietary supplement and are also included in many weight loss products. Healthy food advocates use them as part of a wide variety of dishes (from baked goods to drinks). This widespread use is due to the rich composition of the product:
- omega-3 fatty acids;
- vegetable protein;
- vitamins A, C, E and group B.
The content of these useful elements in the product helps to normalize cholesterol levels, which is the prevention of atherosclerosis, as well as diseases of the cardiovascular system.
A diet rich in chia seeds can help relieve depression. Regular consumption of this product normalizes blood pressure and blood sugar levels.
Chia seeds should be included in the diet to prevent a variety of seasonal diseases and strengthen the body’s defenses. Their use also has a positive effect on the functioning of the digestive system and promotes the healing of inflammation foci.
A healthy diet enriched with chia seeds contributes to:
- maintaining proper liver function;
- the emergence of a stable feeling of satiety;
- elimination of manifestations of allergies;
- complex rejuvenation of the body;
- improving health in case of anemia;
This herbal product, like many other components of a healthy diet, has a number of limitations. It is not recommended to eat it in the following cases:
- during pregnancy and lactation;
- in the presence of food poisoning;
- at low pressure;
- while taking drugs that affect blood clotting;
- in the presence of individual intolerance.
How does adding chia seeds affect weight loss?
Chia seeds are actively used by people who adhere to proper nutrition and seek to lose weight. In the homeland of this product, flour is made from it, which is added to many traditional and dietary dishes.
The slimming effect of eating chia seeds is achieved due to the properties of the soluble fibers that make up their composition. Their peculiarity lies in the ability to multiply in volume upon contact with liquid and form a special gel that prevents the absorption of carbohydrates through the walls of the stomach. Indeed, the less carbohydrates a person consumes with food, the fewer calories he will receive.
A diet enriched with this product prevents the deposition of visceral fat, which is very dangerous for human health.
Good nutrition includes many healthy foods that can quickly satisfy hunger. Chia seeds are one of those foods. After all, the high content of fiber, which swells and fills part of the space in the stomach, contributes to the appearance of a feeling of satiety and eliminates possible overeating. This is the optimal product for people who can hardly tolerate even a slight feeling of hunger.
To establish a healthy diet with chia seeds, you should know some of the features of their use:
- eat with enough water;
- consume 20-30 minutes before the main meal;
- the course of admission is 1.5 months;
- at the time of taking the product, you should refuse too high-calorie meals;
- The recommended daily intake of chia seeds is about 50 grams (1-2 tablespoons).
How to take chia seeds for weight loss
Despite the very broad health benefits of this product, it is most often used for weight loss. Reviews on the Web suggest that chia seeds are very effective for weight loss.
Benefits for losing weight
- Boost your metabolism
- Burning fat
- Elimination of toxins
- Decreased appetite
- Increased satiety and decreased hunger
- Get rid of cellulite
Sample menu for the day
- Breakfast: scrambled eggs, 1 teaspoon of chia, a glass of water.
- First snack: any fruit.
- Lunch: vegetable salad, 1 teaspoon of chia or yogurt with their content, tea.
- Second snack: 1 tbsp. a spoonful of seeds, 2 glasses of water.
- Dinner: steamed fish with vegetables, 1 teaspoon chia, a glass of water.
What dishes should you add chia seeds to, and how?
Chia seeds are added as follows:
- Whole – in vegetable cutlets, as a thickener (instead of eggs), thick soups
- Slightly crushed – into cereals, desserts, drinks
- Grains crushed into flour – into casseroles, baked goods
- Sprouted seeds for salads
Attention. When in contact with water, juice, milk, chia seeds increase in volume by 10-12 times, and turn into a gel-like mass. To get it, the seeds are soaked for 15-20 minutes.
To get a jelly-like mass, chia seeds can be soaked:
- In water, in a ratio of 1: 4 (1 part seeds, 4 parts water)
- In milk with a fat content of 3.2%, the ratio is 1: 5
- In fatty yogurt (take 0.5 tsp of chia per 150 ml of yogurt)
- In low-fat kefir (200 ml of kefir, 1 tablespoon of seeds)
- In coconut milk (200 ml liquid, 0.5 cups chia)
- In fruit or vegetable juice (for 1 glass of juice 3-4 tablespoons of seeds)
- In fruit or vegetable juice (for 1 glass of fruit drink 1-2 tablespoons of seeds)
- In tea (for 1 glass of tea 1 teaspoon of seeds)
Attention. Water, juice, kefir, milk for infusing chia seeds should be taken cold, tea should be warm, in no case hot, otherwise the beneficial properties of chia seeds may be lost.
How to prepare first courses with chia seeds?
Chia seeds are added whole or ground to thicken the soup.
Thick soup with vegetables and chia seeds
For the soup, take:
- 2 liters of vegetable or meat broth
- 2 tbsp. l. vegetable oil
- 2 small carrots
- 1 small onion
- 4 tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 bell pepper
- Half a jar of canned sweet corn
- Half a jar of canned green peas
- Several stalks of celery and parsley each
- 2 tbsp. l. chia seed
- Ground black and red pepper, salt – to your liking
- In a thick-walled saucepan, in vegetable oil, fry finely chopped onions until soft.
- Add carrots here – straws, chopped garlic, and fry for about 5 minutes.
- Then add the tomatoes, peeled and cut into pieces, Bulgarian pepper – in strips, cover and simmer until the vegetables are soft (about 10 minutes).
- Fill with broth, add green peas and corn, and cook until tender, about 20 minutes.
- At the end of cooking, salt the soup, add peppers (black and red) to taste, chia seeds, turn off the heat, and let the soup brew for about half an hour.
- During the time the soup was infused, the chia seeds swelled, the soup became thick, pour it into plates, sprinkle it with herbs, and serve it on the table.
Lentil, Ginger and Chia Seed Soup
For the soup, take:
- 1 cup lentils
- 2 medium potatoes
- 1 liter of water for soup + 1 cup of water for soaking chia seeds
- A small piece, 2 cm long, of fresh ginger root
- On the tip of a knife, ground coriander seeds
- On the tip of a knife powder turmeric
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- Salt to taste
- Pour chia seeds with a glass of water, and let it brew all night.
- In the morning, cook the lentils in the remaining water until half cooked, then add the diced potatoes and cook until tender.
- At the end of cooking, pour the swollen chia seeds, peeled and finely grated ginger, seasonings, chopped garlic, salt into the soup, let the soup boil, turn it off.
- After 15 minutes, the soup will infuse, and you can eat it.
How to cook chia seed porridge?
Oatmeal with chia seeds
Let’s take into the porridge:
- 0.5 cups each oatmeal and any berries or jam
- 1 tbsp. l. chia seed
- 1 glass of milk (unsweetened yogurt possible)
- 1 banana
Cooking porridge for the morning even in the evening:
- Pour the oatmeal into a container with a lid, fill it with milk or yogurt.
- Add chia seeds, mashed banana, mix, close the lid and put in the refrigerator until morning.
- In the morning we take the porridge out of the refrigerator, add fresh berries or jam to it. And we serve it to the table.
Rice porridge with chia seeds
Let’s take into the porridge:
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 1 cup meat or vegetable broth for cooking rice + 1/4 cup of the same broth for steeping chia
- 2 tbsp. l. chia seed
- 1 tbsp. l. soy sauce
- 2 boiled eggs
- Several green onion feathers
- Pour chia seeds with a quarter glass of broth, and leave for 10 minutes.
- Pour the washed rice with the remaining broth and cook until half cooked (6-7 minutes).
- Add the swollen chia grains to the rice and cook until tender, 5-10 minutes.
- Put the cooked porridge on a plate, pour soy sauce on top, decorate with chopped boiled eggs, finely chopped green onion feathers.
How to prepare chia seed desserts?
Vegan Chia Pudding
Take into the pudding:
- 0.5 l of pure water
- 50 g oatmeal
- 3 tbsp. l. chia seed
- 2 tbsp. l. honey
- 1 banana
- Pour the oatmeal with cold purified water and let it swell for 15 minutes, then grind it with a blender.
- Pour chia seeds to the whipped mass, and let it brew for 2 hours.
- After the allotted time, we got a thick jelly-like mass. Add to it mashed banana, honey, mix, put in bowls, and you can serve it to the table.
Blueberry Chia Muffins
Let’s take into muffins:
- One and a half glasses of flour
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tbsp. l. sugar and chia seeds
- 4 tbsp. l. water
- 1 tsp soda
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Beat egg whites with sugar until a stable foam forms, add lemon juice and zest, water, chia seeds, flour, soda, berries, and knead. You should get a thin dough.
- Leave the dough to brew for 15 minutes and swell the chia.
- Stir the dough again, put it in molds, and put the oven in the oven at 180̊C for 25-30 minutes.
How to prepare chia seed drinks?
Lemon water with chia seeds
Take in lemon water:
- 3 liters of clean water
- 100 ml fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup chia seeds
- Several sprigs of lemon balm or mint
- Honey to your liking
- Chia pour 0.5 liters of purified cold water, let it brew for half an hour.
- Dip sprigs of mint, freshly squeezed lemon juice, honey, swollen chia seeds into the rest of the water, shake it, put it in the refrigerator to cool for 2 hours, and you can pour it into glasses and drink.
Chia Seed Vitamin Smoothie
In a smoothie we take:
- 2 large apples
- Incomplete glass of coconut milk
- 1 tbsp. l. chia seed
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 beet
- Fill the chia seeds with coconut milk for half an hour.
- With the help of a juicer, we make juice from apples, carrots and beets.
- Mix the juice and chia seeds swollen in coconut milk, stir, cool for about 2 hours in the refrigerator, pour into glasses, and serve.
So, now we know which dishes you can add chia seeds to, and how to cook delicious and healthy food with them.
Chia seed recipes for healthy eating
Chia seeds are an ideal healthy food product to effectively fight extra pounds. Regular and correct introduction of them into the diet will ensure a long-term feeling of satiety and reduce the risk of localized fat deposits and cellulite.
Today, a large number of a wide variety of recipes are known, including chia seeds. All of them are delicious and contribute to weight loss. Below are some easy-to-prepare meal options to help you eat well:
Chia Seed Pudding
To prepare the dish, grind about 1 cup of fresh (thawed) raspberries, 0.5 cups of almonds, 3 tbsp. l. honey, 1 tbsp. l. cocoa powder and 1 sachet of vanilla. Add 1 glass of water and 4 tbsp. l. chia seeds, mix thoroughly, cover the bowl with foil and refrigerate for 1 hour. During this time, the pudding will infuse, and the seeds will absorb excess moisture. Such a dessert is an excellent solution not only for those who welcome healthy food and want to lose weight, but also for children. After all, the dish turns out to be tasty and nutritious.
Fish with chia seeds
To prepare this recipe, you need to take 400 g of fillet of sea fish (for example, salmon). Rinse and dry it on a towel. Separately in a container, mix the zest of 1 lemon, a pinch of salt, a pinch of black pepper, 1 tbsp. l. olive oil, 1 tsp. honey, 0.25 cups sesame seeds, and 0.5 cups chia seeds. Sprinkle the salmon fillet with the resulting mixture. Bake in a well-preheated oven on a wire rack for 12-15 minutes on each side. Serve with boiled rice. Such a dish will help diversify the diet of those who carefully monitor their weight and do not want to gain extra pounds.
Chia Seed Vitamin Drink
For its preparation, peeled and chopped fruits should be chopped in a blender: 1 apple, 1 kiwi, 1 banana and 1 orange. Mix with chia seeds pre-soaked in orange juice. At 2 st. l. seeds to take the same amount of juice. Serve immediately.
Drink with kefir
This cocktail is best taken in the morning or evening. In the morning it will give a feeling of satiety and energize, and taken at night, it will gently cleanse the intestines. For preparation, take 2 teaspoons of chia seeds and cover with a glass of kefir. Keep at room temperature for about 2 hours and drink on an empty stomach.
It can be used as a snack during the day or after a workout. We take 1 tbsp. seeds, a quarter cup of oatmeal, 150 ml of low-fat yogurt. Whisk all the ingredients in a blender and put them in the refrigerator for 3 hours. For flavor, add a handful of your favorite berries or nuts.
A useful recipe for those who are used to eating porridge for breakfast. We need: 60 grams of oatmeal, 2 tsp. miracle seeds, a glass of milk, a banana, a little honey. This dish is prepared in the evening. Pour washed oats into a glass jar, add seeds. Put banana puree and honey on top, fill with milk. Close and shake well, then put in the refrigerator until morning.
A simple breakfast is also prepared in advance. Ingredients: a glass of coconut milk, 1.5-2 tbsp. seeds, a handful of frozen berries (any). In the evening, mix all the ingredients, cover, put in the refrigerator overnight.
Dessert is quick and easy to prepare. We need: 200 ml. milk, 25 gr. chia, some seasonal fruits (berries), a teaspoon of vanilla, a tablespoon of honey, a few kernels of your favorite nuts. Add seeds and vanilla to milk, mix. We soak for 30 minutes, put the remaining ingredients, – the dessert is ready.
Celery based soup is perfect for lunch. You need to take: 2 liters of chicken or vegetable broth, 1 medium onion, 2 cloves of garlic, 2 stalks of celery, 200 g of green peas, 4 large tomatoes, 1 bell pepper, 2 carrots, a small bunch of parsley, grains from 2 ears of corn, a tablespoon chia seeds, cooking oil, salt, pepper. We cut all the vegetables, remove the skin from the tomatoes and chop.
Saute onions, garlic, carrots, peppers, peas and celery. Transfer to a saucepan, add tomatoes, corn, salt and pepper, pour in broth. After boiling, reduce the heat and leave to simmer for about 30 minutes. Add chia, spices and lemon juice to taste. After thickening, remove the soup from the heat and decorate with herbs, serve.
For the classic recipe, you need to take 1 egg, 2 tablespoons of milk, 25 grams of ground chia, a pinch of flour. Mix everything thoroughly and leave for 20 minutes. Fry a little onion in a skillet and pour the mixture into it. After 3-5 minutes, the omelet is ready. You can diversify this recipe by adding a tablespoon of finely chopped vegetables.
Eating this salad for dinner will help you shed those extra pounds faster. For him you will need: 3 tbsp. chia gel, a small bunch of spinach, 2 kiwis, one avocado, two cups of ginger, lemon. Cut fruits and ginger into cubes, spinach into strips. Mix, pour with the juice of one lemon and gel. Mix again, the miracle slimming salad is ready. By the way, flax seeds can be used according to this principle.
In the hot season, such a drink perfectly refreshes and dulls the feeling of hunger. Ingredients: a glass of natural apple juice, a tablespoon of chia seeds and lemon juice; mint, ice. Fill the chia with juice and leave to swell. When the liquid becomes gelatinous, add lemon juice and stir. Put 2-3 ice cubes, decorate with a sprig of mint.
Delicate and light baked goods are perfect as a dessert. Required ingredients: 1/4 cup whole grain flour, the same amount of applesauce, 2 tablespoons. honey, 150 ml almond milk, 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds, 1 tsp. soda, 2 tablespoons each. chia seeds and olive oil, 1/4 tsp sea salt.
Combine flour, salt and soda in a deep bowl. Add all the liquid ingredients and blend until smooth. Add chia and pomegranate seeds to the resulting mass, mix. We fill the molds with dough, not reaching the top. We bake in a preheated oven for 15-20 minutes at 190 degrees.
For weight gain and mass
If, in addition to losing weight, your goal is to gain muscle mass, eat Greek yogurt with chia seeds. To do this, mix 200 grams of yogurt with a spoonful of grains and leave in the refrigerator for 8 hours to swell. This mixture is useful after exercise. It is especially good to eat 30 minutes before bedtime.
Protein shakes are accepted by many athletes. Their muscle-building benefits will increase simply by adding chia seeds.
Attention! Losing weight will be more effective if you give up sweet and fatty foods for the period of the diet.
Features of selection and storage
First you need to figure out how to purchase and store this product. Now you can buy seeds in pharmacies, specialized health food stores, order online. Of course, the offline purchase method is preferable, since in this case it can visually assess its appearance, smell and other characteristics. Good quality seeds should have the following characteristics:
- Color. The color should be uneven, there are blotches and a marble pattern, different shades of brown. You can also find white seeds.
- Shape and size. Chia seeds are small, rounded, like small quail eggs.
- Taste. The taste will be bland, characteristic of raw seeds, slightly similar to walnuts.
- No odor, although a slight flour or grain aroma is possible.
- The documents. Regardless of the method of sale, the seller must have documents confirming the quality of the seeds.
On sale, most often you can find seeds for food and medicinal purposes. However, you can also find seeds for planting. Their value is less, since the degree of maturity on the plant has already been reached. They can be distinguished externally by the color and size of the package. The planting material is packed in small bags. And food seeds in these are extremely rare.
After purchasing the seeds, immediately pour them into an airtight jar. Store in a dark place with temperatures up to 25 degrees. The product must be protected from sunlight, as it leads to the destruction of a number of nutrients. When moisture enters the seed, it deteriorates and swells.
Seed preparation and consumption
Before consuming chia seeds, be sure to rinse them, and it is important to do this immediately before using. Sunflower seeds absorb 12 times more water than themselves. If you have already wet them, you need to use them in the next day, otherwise they will simply disappear.
There are several ways to consume chia seeds:
- Generally dry. You can simply use them with water or drinks, add them to meals.
- Ground dry. The seed powder is added to drinks, dishes, mixed with honey or syrups.
- Soaked with a hammer. The seeds are crushed and soaked in liquid beforehand to excrete mucus.
- Boiled. Seeds are enriched with jelly, porridge and other dishes that require cooking.
- In baking. Ground seeds can be added to dough for pancakes, pancakes, muffins and other products.
- Also, the seeds are used in the form of oil. Chia seed oil is mostly used in cosmetology.
Regardless of how the seeds are consumed, it is important to keep the water in mind. After consuming the seeds, again, in any form, be sure to drink water. Otherwise, they will not be able to swell and will take fluid from the body, and this can provoke dehydration, constipation, and intestinal obstruction.
The use of seeds for general health improvement and prevention
Chia seeds can be consumed every day throughout your life. They will help improve well-being, strengthen the body’s defenses, raise immunity, prevent excess weight gain, slow down the aging process, and improve skin condition. The drug provokes an allergy extremely rarely, it can be used by children over three years old. By the way, the product is also very useful for children, as it helps to improve mental activity.
Chia seeds are eaten as follows:
- In the form of jelly. A teaspoon of seeds is poured into a glass of hot water, covered and left in this form for an hour. If you don’t have enough time, you can boil the mixture for two minutes, cool it and drink.
- In the form of porridge. Pour a spoonful of seeds (whole or crushed) into a glass of boiling milk, boil for two minutes, add spices to taste.
- With honey. Combine 1-2 teaspoons of honey and seeds, eat with tea or milk.
- Cocktail. Pour 1-2 teaspoons with a glass of kefir or yogurt and let it brew for two hours. Can be refrigerated overnight.
You can also add seeds to fresh salads and soups, main courses, cereals, cereal dishes, muesli, baked goods. They are mixed with nuts, added to ice cream, creams, and used to sprinkle the cake. In any case, they are only beneficial.
Growing chia at home
Some lovers of this product are also involved in growing chia seeds at home or in the garden. When doing this, make sure there is enough space for the plants. Especially in height. After all, they often reach a height of 1.5 meters to two meters. Planting them is very simple and standard. Just scatter the seeds onto the soil. Water them daily. You can collect it when the last petals from the flowers have fallen.
Then collect the flower heads in a paper bag and wait until they dry. Once dry, the seeds should separate from the plant fairly easily. And then can be collected and used in your favorite dishes. Everything from simple grains to low-carb bread recipes to classic chia seed pudding.
Knowing how to cook chia seeds, you can significantly diversify your diet with healthy and exotic foods from the ancient civilizations of America. Try to start consuming this superfood. After all, its benefits for men and women are undeniable, especially since with the current development of trade it is absolutely unimportant where you live. Anywhere you can buy chia seeds and start getting new flavoring experiences.
Contact us: [email protected]