US, WASHINGTON (ORDO NEWS) — The United States does not consider it possible to reduce its missile defense facilities, but it is prepared to discuss this issue with the Russian Federation. This statement was made on Thursday by the special representative of the American president for arms control Marshall Billingsley at a videoconference organized by the Hudson Institute of Washington.
“President [USA] Donald Trump made it clear that he will not allow restrictions on US missile defense,” said Billingsley. “However, Russia is an independent state, and [Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei] Ryabkov indicated in our conversation that he intends to raise the issue Missile defense, as well as a number of other topics. Therefore, I am sure we will discuss this.”
“It seems to me that the Russians will have to make an incredible offer, I don’t even know what it would be for the president to change his point of view on this issue, if at all possible,” said the special representative of the head of the American administration. “We’ll talk, but I’ll I don’t expect any restrictions.”
Ryabkov previously stated that U.S. plans to test the latest modification of the SM-3 Block IIA anti-ballistic missile for a target that is the equivalent of an intercontinental ballistic missile confirm that the U.S. is beginning to test its missile defense system against Russia. According to him, Moscow is following with concern the US continues to improve its missile defense capabilities.
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said May 19 that the Russian Federation and the United States plan to hold a video conference on strategic stability. According to the head of the Russian diplomatic service, he had previously agreed with the Secretary of State of the United States Michael Pompeo to establish contacts between Billingsley and Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov. Their conversation took place on May 8.
Ryabkov told TASS on May 11 that Russia was proposing to the United States to extend the Treaty on Measures to Further Reduce and Limit Strategic Offensive Arms (START, unofficial name – START-3) for five years, during which time a new mechanism could be developed.
START was signed by Russia and the United States in 2010. It remains valid for 10 years (until February 5, 2021), unless replaced by a subsequent agreement. The document can be extended for no more than five years, that is, until 2026, by mutual agreement of the parties. Moscow calls on Washington not to delay the decision to extend the treaty and characterizes it as the gold standard in the field of disarmament.
Contact us: [email protected]