US, WASHINGTON (ORDO NEWS) — US President Donald Trump said that Americans should begin to return to their usual way of life, even if this leads to even more sick and dead from coronavirus. It is reported by Bloomberg .
Trump said he is preparing for the “second phase” of the US reaction to coronavirus. It will include the dissolution of the White House task force of public health experts, including Anthony Fauci and Deborah Birks, who have so far led the government’s response to the outbreak of COVID-19.
Trump admitted that opening an economy is likely to have negative consequences. “Will some people be affected? Yes. Will some people be affected? Yes,” Trump said. “But we must open our country, and we must open it soon.”
The president expressed growing frustration at the recession caused by the coronavirus.
Preliminary figures from the US Department of Commerce showed that in the first quarter, the world’s largest economy contracted 4.8% year on year. Over the past six weeks, more than 30 million Americans have applied for unemployment benefits .
Trump called on the states to soften social distance measures and allow businesses to reopen, although he warned that this should be done “safely.”
He also disagreed with two new predictions as to what could happen if a country removes the restrictions imposed to combat the pandemic too quickly. The Johns Hopkins University model shows that the number of deaths can reach 3 thousand a day by June 1. According to estimates by the University of Washington, the number of deaths from coronavirus in the United States can reach 135 thousand people by early August.
“These models were so wrong from the very first day. Both on the lower boundary and on the upper,” Trump said in an interview with ABC. “They were so wrong, they were so crazy. And they continue to create new models, new models and they are wrong.”
Contact us: [email protected]