(ORDO NEWS) — The terrorist attack took place on Thursday near the Kabul airport, from where, after the radical Taliban movement came to power, they continue to evacuate foreigners and local residents. According to the latest information, at least seven explosions took place in the capital of Afghanistan. According to the latest data, 72 people were killed.
We collected the main thing that is known about the attack.
Two explosions and a shootout
- The explosion at the northern entrance to the territory of the Kabul airport was staged by a suicide bomber .
- Later it became known about the second explosion, this information was officially confirmed by the Ministry of Defense of Turkey and the United States. According to American data, one explosion occurred at the Abby Gate (this is one of the main entrances to the airport territory), and the second – inside or next to the Baron Hotel, which is located nearby.
- Turkish TV channel TRT reported the third explosion in Kabul, while Al Arabiya reported two more explosions in the vicinity of the Afghan capital. The sixth explosion was reported by 1TV.
- After the explosion at the airport, a shootout began , reports Fox News.
- The Politico newspaper and the Associated Press, citing sources, report that the Islamic State (IS) terrorist organization, is responsible for the incident. Earlier, US President Joe Biden said that the militants of this group are looking for an opportunity to attack the Americans and their allies in Afghanistan.
- The British military also believes that IS is behind the bombings in Kabul, writes The Daily Telegraph, citing sources in the military.
- Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said that the latest explosions in Kabul were carried out by the US Armed Forces in order to destroy their own equipment.
- Fox News, citing sources in the US Congress, reports that there is a threat of new attacks in Kabul .
- According to Al Arabiya, 72 people were killed and 158 injured. The Pentagon reported that 12 US military personnel were killed.
- It was reported that there were no casualties among the military of other Western countries, which are also stationed in the airport area. There are also no casualties among UN staff.
- The agency Reuters referring to representatives of the “Taliban” has reported several wounded Taliban.
- Russians at Kabul airport in the moment of the attack, according to the Russian Embassy in Afghanistan, it was not, said Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova.
- UN Secretary General António Guterres is concerned about the situation in Kabul, said his spokesman Stephane Dujarric.
- Biden held a White House meeting with Secretary of State Anthony Blinken and Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin. Because of this, he postponed a meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett.
- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has convened a meeting of an emergency government committee, which will be attended, in particular, by Defense Minister Ben Wallace.
- French President Emmanuel Macron said that the staff of the French embassy will be evacuated from Kabul airport in the near future.
- The head of the Supreme Council for National Reconciliation in Afghanistan, Abdullah Abdullah, strongly condemned the attack.
- European Council President Charles Michel called for safe access to the Kabul airport.
- The speedy evacuation of as many people as possible from Afghanistan remains a NATO priority, said NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg.
- The British Ministry of Defense had previously warned about the threat of a terrorist attack near the Kabul airport. The kingdom’s authorities recommended that those awaiting evacuation leave the airport, find a safe place and wait for additional instructions.
- The authorities of several other countries, including Australia, Belgium and Italy, issued similar warnings. Brussels said it is curtailing the evacuation due to the threat.
Contact us: [email protected]