Pentagon chief announces US involvement in events in Venezuela

US, WASHINGTON (ORDO NEWS) — The United States is not involved in the attempted coup in Venezuela , Pentagon chief Mark Esper told reporters.

“The US government has nothing to do with what has happened in Venezuela in the past few days,” he said.

Earlier this was stated by US President Donald Trump.

On Sunday, Venezuelan Interior Minister Nestor Reverol said the authorities prevented the naval invasion of Colombian militants by the state of La Guaira. Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro said the goal of the invasion was to kill him. According to the Ministry of Internal Affairs, the militants tried to invade the country on speedboats.

The chairman of the constituent assembly, Diosdado Cabello, said that eight attackers were killed and two were detained. Later it became known about eight more detainees. Maduro said that among the detained participants in the armed sea attack were two US citizens, whom he called the personal guard of the US president.

Since January 2019, the United States has not recognized Maduro as the country’s president and considers the Venezuelan opposition leader Juan Guaido , who illegally proclaimed himself president, as the interim head of state.

In late March, the US Department of Justice accused Maduro and another 15 members of the country’s leadership of involvement in drug trafficking and money laundering, the Venezuelan authorities denied the allegations.

On April 1, the US military, as well as units of the Coast Guard and the US Drug Enforcement Administration, launched a large-scale anti-drug operation in the Caribbean, one of the goals of which in Washington was called countering the illegal drug defense by the Maduro regime.

Online:

Contact us: [email protected]

Our Standards, Terms of Use: Standard Terms And Conditions.

Close

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker