(ORDO NEWS) — A group of scientists from the NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory believes that it is necessary to send a new message to representatives of extraterrestrial civilizations.
This new message, called “Beacon in the Galaxy,” will be the “heir” of a radio signal that was sent back in 1974 from the Arecibo Observatory in Puerto Rico.
What is a “Radio Beacon in the Galaxy”?
This is an updated message sent from the Arecibo Observatory. It contained information about humanity, our technological advances, and our place in space in simple graphic terms.
Its duration is 169 seconds, and it consisted of 1679 digits. The new message will also be encoded in binary.
What happened to the message from Arecibo?
So far, it is on the way to its goal. He was sent to the globular star cluster M13, which is located at a distance of 25 thousand light years from us in the constellation of Hercules.
It was sent at a wavelength of 126 mm. Since the radio signal travels at the speed of light, so far the message has traveled only 48 light-years, or 0.2%, to its intended target.
What will be the new message for aliens?
Scientists use basic mathematical and physical concepts for this message, which, in their opinion, are a universal means of communication and representatives of extraterrestrial intelligence will be able to decipher this message.
Signal binary coding (the simplest form of mathematics and probably universal for all sentient species in the universe) and communication that is almost entirely focused on mathematics and physics.
Also, scientists in the message encrypted a request to send a response in order to start a galactic conversation.
What is in the new message for aliens?
Scientists from NASA have encrypted the following information in a new message for extraterrestrial intelligence:
- Information about the biochemical composition of life on Earth. This information includes an image of the four building blocks of DNA – adenosine, cytidine, guanosine and thymidine.
- A timeline that starts from the Big Bang to show exactly when the message was sent. The scientists also indicated the dates of the appearance of the main scientific achievements of mankind. Among them are Newton’s laws, Einstein’s theory of relativity, the beginning of space flights and the landing of a man on the moon.
- Location of the solar system in the Milky Way, showing distances to known globular star clusters. It is necessary that representatives of extraterrestrial civilization knew where to send the answer and how long to wait for feedback.
- Digitized images of the solar system and the Earth’s surface.
- Digitized images of people.
- Please reply to this message with a picture of a radio telescope transmitting a signal.
How will they send a new message to space for aliens?
The message, encoded in binary code, will be sent using one of two telescopes on Earth:
- Or with the help of the FAST radio telescope, also known as “Tianyang”, which is located in China, in the province of Guizhou.
- Or with a radio telescope called The Allen Telescope Array (ATA) in California, USA.
So far there is one small problem – both FAST and ATA can only receive radio messages, not send them, but upcoming updates may fix this.
Where will the new message for extraterrestrial civilizations be sent?
NASA believes that it is necessary to send a message to one of the star clusters, which is located at a distance of 2 to 6 kiloparsecs from the center of the Milky Way. That is, from 6.5 to 19.5 thousand light years.
Contact us: [email protected]