In California, a boy was found to have a brain-eating amoeba

(ORDO NEWS) — In Northern California, the boy was diagnosed with a very dangerous disease that affects the brain. It often becomes the cause of death. Most often, a fatal infection occurs while swimming in a freshwater lake. The infection is caused by a single-celled organism called Fowler’s negleria.

It is reported by Live Science.

The child was not even 10 years old, and he had already been given a terrible diagnosis. Experts discovered primary amoebic meningoencephalitis in the boy. Pathology occurs as a result of infection with an amoeba, which can be viewed exclusively under a microscope. 

Most likely, the child became infected while swimming in one of the lakes located in the Teheim district. It is worth noting that the disease is considered incredibly rare. Since 1971, there have been literally 10 cases in California.

Infection occurs when water with an amoeba enters a person’s nose. Then it enters the brain and begins to destroy its cells. In almost all situations, the disease becomes the cause of death, and only 3% of the sick can survive. 

At the same time, scientists cannot say exactly how some people survive, but there are some factors that affect the development of pathology. For example, the chances of overcoming the disease will be greater if the infection is found at an early stage, as well as the most appropriate treatment options are selected in order to reduce cerebral edema.

Today, there is only one way to avoid this dangerous deadly infection – do not bathe in bodies of water where fresh water is present. If there is no choice, then while swimming, you need to do everything possible so that water does not enter the nose.

Online:

Contact us: [email protected]

Our Standards, Terms of Use: Standard Terms And Conditions.