(ORDO NEWS) — Statistics show that 13 percent of asthma cases in children in the US can be attributed to the use of gas stoves.
This indicator is comparable with the contribution of such an unconditionally harmful factor as passive smoking.
Bronchial asthma is a chronic inflammation of the airways, usually associated with an allergic reaction and leading to asthma attacks.
Starting in childhood, the disease often continues in adults, transforming into more severe forms.
An increased risk of developing asthma is associated with formula feeding, the use of disinfectants, and other factors. Conventional gas stoves can also play a significant role in this.
More than 70 percent of households in Russia are gasified, and their owners tend to use gas stoves for daily cooking.
Meanwhile, even an idle stove is one of the most noticeable sources of indoor air pollution, filling it with methane, nitrogen dioxide, carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide and other gases.
The influence of these substances on the development of bronchial asthma has so far been greatly underestimated, reported Brady Seals (Brady Seals) and his colleagues from the US and Australia.
The researchers compared US childhood asthma statistics with data on gas stove use collected as part of the American Housing Survey.
The analysis showed that about 12.7 percent of asthma cases in the United States can be attributed to gas cooking, a figure comparable to the impact of secondhand smoke.
This effect was especially pronounced in the most gasified states, exceeding 20 percent. For comparison: in the least gasified Florida, this level reaches only three percent.
The authors note that their estimates are based on a number of assumptions, so they should not be considered final.
Nevertheless, these results are consistent with the data obtained in a similar work carried out earlier on the basis of statistical data from Australia.
Even if the degree of influence of gas stoves on the development of bronchial asthma is exaggerated, there is no doubt that they fill the air in the room with a mass of products that are harmful to the health of both children and adults.
Contact us: [email protected]