US, WASHINGTON (ORDO NEWS) — The fifth generation of wireless is more than just fast internet in your pocket. Perhaps this technology will change the world beyond recognition.
1. 5G is an abbreviation of the English “fifth generation”, that is, following the existing telecommunication standards 4G . With the advent of this technology, experts promise to accelerate mobile data transfer – a hundred times faster than 4G . In practice, for the average user, this means that an Ultra HD movie can be downloaded in a second or two. But the main thing, of course, is not this, but the fact that c 5G it will be possible to automate what was previously trusted only to man. Autonomous cars will be able to drive around the city, instantly analyzing the road situation. All devices in the “smart home” will be able to communicate with each other. There will be uninterrupted communication in real time in areas of natural disasters. Scientists promise even very incredible things like remote robotic surgery.
2. Another promised 5G advantage is the support of millions of devices per square kilometer. This is important for operators, because the population density in cities is high and in some places it continues to grow rapidly. At the same time, everyone wants high-speed Internet, and 3G and 4G can no longer cope with this load. Even in cities and between cities, the number of high-speed highways and railways is growing. At speeds up to 200 km / h 4G still works, but in 5G networks the possibility of high-speed Internet access at speeds up to 500 km / h is laid. Some modern trains move a little slower.
3. And 5G developers promise users significantly lower energy costs than 4 G. This means that the phone’s battery will run out much more slowly, despite the huge speed of the device and high quality content.
4. At the heart of the “philosophy” of 5G is the so-called Internet of things. This is a technology that combines peripheral devices, such as sensors, and information processing centers into a single network, where the collected data is analyzed. After processing the information, commands are issued to other devices. For example, in the event of a gas leak or smoke, the signal is transmitted to the appropriate services. At the same time, the coffee maker makes fresh coffee, and the toaster fries the bread while the landlord takes a morning shower – almost like Ray Bradbury once described. Of course, this will transform the global economy, no doubt about it. Experts talk about trillions of dollars of new annual sales secured by 5G.
5. But the Japanese want to use 5G to track the health of cash cows. This should make life easier for farmers, especially beginners. In a large herd, keeping track of dairy cows is not easy. At the first signs of mastitis, treatment should be started so that the disease does not worsen. It is also important not to miss the time when the cow needs to be artificially inseminated – this is possible only during the day every three weeks. The future system will transfer photos from cameras in the cowsheds to the data processing module, and the farmer will receive all this information on the smartphone screen.
6. 5G development plans were announced when 4G was still not heard, in 2014. In 2018, they started launching test networks in different countries. The first commercial continuous coating was organized in South Korea a year ago. The experiment turned out to be not entirely successful: many users criticized the quality of communication, saying that in fact 5G services were not as fast and reliable as in advertising. Meanwhile, 5G was launched in several cities in China, the United States, and Switzerland. All trial launches and measurements, of course, were widely covered in the media. Ericsson experts announced that at the end of last year, about 13 million people had already tested fifth-generation networks in the world.
7. In several countries, including Russia, the first experiments began in 2018. There is an example of a 5G network covering a whole small city – Kronstadt, now it is a remote area of St. Petersburg. Tests were carried out in the Hermitage, and in Moscow – in Skolkovo, in the Moscow City business center and near the city hall, on Tverskaya Street from the Kremlin to the Garden Ring, as well as in some regions, for example, Tatarstan.
8. Operators have stated many times that they would like to test and set up 5G equipment to work in the so-called 3.4-3.8 GHz gold band. At medium frequencies 2-6 GHz, which includes this range, the signal is more stable, and the data transfer speed is higher. For 5G, this segment is optimal, and in Europe, commercial networks use it. In Russia, the frequency range 3.4-3.8 GHz is currently used by law enforcement agencies and special communications.
9. The prospect of 5G distribution has been exciting activists from different countries for several years, and have talked extensively about the impact of 5G cell towers and how to find them in certain areas where people are worried. They worry about the potentially harmful effects of technology on the human body: the nervous and reproductive systems, and more. Cases of strange behavior of animals, birds and insects in areas where they have experienced a new standard of communication have been described. It is curious that insurance companies do not have a unanimous opinion on this matter, and many of them so far refuse to insure liability of telecommunications corporations in the event that claims are filed against them for health damage due to 5G . There are no intelligible scientific publications on this subject either. Other problems may arise in the future. For example, the mass distribution of devices with a network connection is extremely convenient for all kinds of hacker attacks.
10. Although many foreign operators have already launched 5G commercial networks , at the moment this is nothing more than entertainment, and it is still a long way to using the full potential of the standard. Russia lags significantly behind in this regard, but this has its advantages. In the meantime, new and new successful tests remain the main domestic news events regarding 5G.
Contact us: [email protected]