(ORDO NEWS) — Today in the United States, it is the Omicron strain that is the main one. People who experience coronavirus-like symptoms try to determine which strain they have contracted. Many people might think that this is a common seasonal cold.
Judith O’Donnell of Penn Presbyterian Medical Center shared information about the differences that can be seen in the symptoms of unvaccinated and vaccinated people. The specialist added that those patients who have contracted Omicron have signs that are standard for coronavirus.
The most common occurrences are cough, fever, shortness of breath, and fatigue. After that, there is a loss of smell, taste. In some cases, nausea and vomiting, gastrointestinal disorders, and a runny nose may occur.
The infectious disease specialist notes that those patients who were vaccinated and even received an additional booster dose do not have such a high temperature after infection as unvaccinated people. In the scientific literature, you can find information that the vaccine can reduce symptoms.
In most cases, they resemble a common cold. The media, in turn, say that with Omicron, you can much more often face a runny nose and nasal congestion than with infection with other strains.
O’Donnell said that patients who have not been vaccinated tolerate Omicron in the same way as other strains of coronavirus. The course of the disease is not much different. Omicron quite often causes not only hospitalization, but even deaths. In no case should you perceive the disease as a cold.
What is known today about the Omicron strain?
• The virus has been reported in more than 100 countries around the world.
• Researchers believe that this strain originated in South Africa due to insufficiently high vaccination rates.
• Presumably, the development of the virus occurred in the body of an HIV-infected person who has too weak immunity.
• WHO says that the new strain provokes the course of the disease in a rather mild form.
Omicron can not always flow very easily, therefore, when the first signs appear, immediately contact a specialist. It is especially important to do this for those people who do not have coronavirus vaccinations.
In Israel, they began to actively administer the fourth vaccination against coronavirus. Experts, in turn, shared the exact consequences of another dose of the drug.
An earlier study by Sheba Medical Center in Tell Hashomeri was released on January 2, 2022. In fact, the side effects were found to be not much greater than those that a third dose of the drug would cause.
The study involved 154 volunteers. The researchers, after giving the fourth dose of the vaccine, began to study their response to the injected drug. The following results were obtained.
- About 80% of the volunteers noted the onset of a mild inflammatory process in the place where the injection was delivered. Similar symptoms were also observed in patients after the third vaccination.
- 45% of the study participants complained about the occurrence of general malaise, which was recorded for a short period of time.
- Another 10% of patients complained of muscle pain and rather severe weakness for no apparent reason.
Contact us: [email protected]