(ORDO NEWS) — While Elon Musk’s company Neuralink is solving internal problems, losing managers and engineers one by one, another startup has implanted a brain-computer interface into the human brain and conducted the first tests of its operation.
It should be noted that earlier chips and neurointerfaces were either implanted in animals or non-invasively attached to humans. The same company Neuralink, for example, implanted chips only in monkeys.
What is known
- The purpose of the operation was to return to the paralyzed patient the ability to control electronic devices and means of communication with the outside world.
- Synchron announced that it was the first to implant a human brain-computer interface, at least in the US.
- The operation was minimally traumatic: the device was inserted into the motor cortex through the jugular vein that runs along the front of the neck.
- The patient returned home 48 hours after the procedure.
- It is reported that a patient with severe paralysis can now control digital devices with the power of thought – the implant transmits signals to them wirelessly using a special digital patented language.
The patient learns to use the device to live more independently and, most importantly, connect with their family and friends, says physiotherapist David Putrino.
The chip tester, who has not been named, has yet to learn how to fully use the new device under the supervision of doctors and engineers, as the technology is new and he has not spent much time with it.
After that, thanks to the implant, he will be able, for example, to write text messages, use e-mail and make online purchases.
If the technology proves itself, it is going to be distributed to millions of people around the world who have lost the ability to control electronic devices with their hands.
Contact us: [email protected]