15th-century water gate discovered in Belgrade Fortress

(ORDO NEWS) — Serbian archaeologists discovered the Water Gate – a key part of the coastal fortifications of the Belgrade fortress of the 15th-18th centuries, which is currently part of the Kalemegdan historical park complex in the center of Belgrade. This was reported by the Vecherne Novosti newspaper on Thursday.

It is reported that earlier this part of the fortress was hidden from view due to the railway tracks and was excavated by archaeologists as part of the implementation of the first stage of work on the construction of a linear park from Beton-Hala (a place at the confluence of the Danube and Sava, located near the Belgrade pier) to the bastion St. James (part of the Belgrade fortress, Kalemegdan park).

“The belt of coastal fortifications of the Belgrade fortress has so far remained the least studied due to the railway and the high level of groundwater.

The fortification of the coastal zone of the fortress began in the first decades of the 15th century, and this rampart received its final form in the middle of the 18th century,” the newspaper quotes words of the Deputy Mayor of Belgrade, Goran Vesic.

The coastal shaft was first damaged during the defense of Belgrade in 1521 from the troops of the Ottoman Empire. Work on its reconstruction was carried out by the Turks from the end of the 17th century and continued during the Austrian occupation.

Inside the ramparts was the Water Gate, which was damaged during the First and Second World Wars, especially in 1942, when the railway in this place was extended for the needs of the army.

The Republican Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments is conducting archaeological research in this part of the Belgrade Fortress in cooperation with the Belgrade Archaeological Institute and the Parks of Belgrade enterprise.

Online:

Contact us: [email protected]

Our Standards, Terms of Use: Standard Terms And Conditions.