(ORDO NEWS) — From the article you will learn 10 interesting nuances about the planet Mars , which will shed light on the most amazing facets of this planet.
If any planet has always been the object of humanity’s admiration other than our own, it is the planet Mars. Mars, the fourth of eight planets in the solar system, has recently come into the spotlight thanks to the discovery of water on it, albeit in a solid state
Even despite the fact that it is in a solidified state, the very fact of the presence of water on Mars is nothing short of an amazing discovery.
10 interesting nuances about Mars
Is Mars home to the largest volcano and largest canyon in the solar system? And when talking about big volcanoes and craters, it should be noted that they are much larger than their largest counterparts on Earth.
Below are more such interesting facts that will provide details on some of the lesser known attributes of this planet.
- Mount Olympus on Mars is the largest volcano in the solar system. It has a height of 26.88 kilometers from the surface of the planet, it is almost three times higher than Mount Everest.
- Mariner Valley – the largest canyon in the solar system, is also located on Mars. Its length is estimated at 4,007.27 kilometers, its width is 201.17 kilometers, and its depth is 6.44 kilometers.
- A study of the composition of the Martian atmosphere shows that it is made up of 95 percent carbon dioxide, 3 percent nitrogen, and 1.5 percent argon, as well as traces of water.
- Among the two moons of Mars, Phobos orbits very close to the planet. Scientists believe that this natural satellite will be pulled in by the planet’s gravitational pull and broken apart. These pieces will eventually orbit the planet and form a ring around it.
- The planet Mars revolves around the Sun at a speed of 23.34 kilometers per second, which is significantly less than the Earth, which revolves around the Sun at a speed of 29.77 kilometers per second.
- Mars is half the size of Earth and has only one-third of Earth’s gravity. Simply put, you can jump three times higher on Mars than on Earth.
- The reddish-orange color of Mars is due to the presence of iron oxide (called rust) on the surface of the planet.
- As part of NASA‘s Mars Exploration Rover robotic mission to date, two unmanned rovers Spirit and Opportunity have been sent to Mars.
- Mars programs of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) have shown that there are two polar ice caps on the planet: Planum Boreum and Planum Australe.
- Of all the Martian missions ordered by the space agencies, two-thirds ended in failure, earning the planet the nickname the Bermuda Triangle of the solar system.
10 fun facts for kids
Although the facts above are amazing in themselves, they are too complex for children to understand. What kids need is a simplified version of these facts that they can easily grasp and have fun learning about.
- Mars is the 4th planet of the solar system from the Sun and lies between the planet Earth (3rd planet) and the planet Jupiter (5th planet).
- The average distance between the planet Mars and the Sun is a whopping 227,940,000.71 kilometers.
- On average, the distance between Mars and Earth ranges from 54556761.6 to 400726656 kilometers, depending on the position of these planets.
- In terms of Earth, one day on the planet Mars lasts 24.6 hours, and one year is equal to 686.98 days on Earth.
- When viewed from Earth, Mars has a bright reddish-orange color.
- This planet is named after the ancient Roman god of war because of its reddish color, reminiscent of the color of blood.
- The physical features of Mars, including plains, canyons, volcanoes, and craters, largely resemble the planet Earth.
- While our planet has one moon, the planet Mars has two: Deimos and Phobos.
- The average temperature of the planet Mars is -60℃, which is quite cold compared to our planet’s average temperature of 14℃.
- Recent studies of Mars have shown that there is water on the planet, however, it is found in the form of ice.
By now, it should be clear how amazing this planet is. Having said that, scientists believe there is a lot more to know about it. As astronomy progresses, many new facets of Mars will be discovered one after the other.
Contact us: [email protected]